www.wavebourn.com

We create creativity!
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gubernator - 8: parallel SE GU-50 amp
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:20 am 

wavebourn wrote:
They are nice tubes, according to papers and other people who used them.
There were 2 types of them: low noise, and high power. Former were used in military equipment, latter lived short life in TV sets. I used to replace them by 6P15P in TV sets in order to restore color picture. I can assume, they were abused there, that's why used to die young. Some people claim they are often very microphonic, but I believe in such cases it was caused by HF oscillations.

They are described as frame grid tubes. I thought this should mitigate the microphony? So I am sure you are correct about the oscillation Smile

Also, I only see one type of 6J52P being discussed, this is interesting information about there being 2 types. How can we differentiate them?

I am interested how the 6P15P can be used to replace the 6J52P. I always thought their characteristics were very far apart. Forgive my ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:12 am 
Шаман, типа...

quikie22 wrote:
wavebourn wrote:
They are nice tubes, according to papers and other people who used them.
There were 2 types of them: low noise, and high power. Former were used in military equipment, latter lived short life in TV sets. I used to replace them by 6P15P in TV sets in order to restore color picture. I can assume, they were abused there, that's why used to die young. Some people claim they are often very microphonic, but I believe in such cases it was caused by HF oscillations.

They are described as frame grid tubes. I thought this should mitigate the microphony? So I am sure you are correct about the oscillation Smile

Also, I only see one type of 6J52P being discussed, this is interesting information about there being 2 types. How can we differentiate them?

I do not know. Manufacturers had different standards for them.

Quote:
I am interested how the 6P15P can be used to replace the 6J52P. I always thought their characteristics were very far apart. Forgive my ignorance.

It worked. Not so good, but color picture was restored.

And yes, it will work in this stage on the same currents and voltages, instead of 6J9P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:48 am 
Шаман, типа...

Here is one more pair of interesting output tubes:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 am 
Шаман, типа...

Here is the sketch of B+ power supply:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:26 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Etching first PCB for the project.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:47 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Done, B+ PCB is soldered. There should be +120, +240, +360 and +600V stabilized outputs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:34 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Making CCS PCBs for driver load & bias adjustment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:34 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:11 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Done with PCB for 12.6V and -80V power supply. Also, the PCB contains inrush current limiter (20 Ohm resistor in series with primary, shorted by relay powered from 12V rectifier).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01 pm 

anatoliy, you certainly have a unique style, you're a electronics handcraftsman! Smile

Please keep the pics flowing.

How does that inrush limiter work? Do you prefer it to something like the typical series NTC? (CL-90 etc)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 am 
Шаман, типа...

pukkita wrote:
anatoliy, you certainly have a unique style, you're a electronics handcraftsman! Smile

Yhank you. I have no budget to order PCBs for prototypes.

Quote:
Please keep the pics flowing.

How does that inrush limiter work? Do you prefer it to something like the typical series NTC? (CL-90 etc)

Yes, when the relay clicks it introducrs zero resistance.

But if you prefer you may use NTC instead of resistor. I have a box od such resistors, I bought them cheap long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 pm 

wavebourn wrote:

I think as the PCBs you drawn are point to point style they're even better than regular PCBs, just as if point to point wiring had been used.

What do you use to draw on the copper? A regular permanent marker?

Are those cylindirical things russian pots?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 pm 
Шаман, типа...

pukkita wrote:
wavebourn wrote:

I think as the PCBs you drawn are point to point style they're even better than regular PCBs, just as if point to point wiring had been used.

It is regular PCB for power supply. Some software does it wrong, assuming that it does not matter where components are connected to the trace, since the trace is still the same. When I was a student, one of our professors Vintizenko developed CAD software called KARL, it run on huge mainframes, but calculated everything carefully, placing components and tracing with physics in mind: thermal properties, capacitances, inductances, resistances of traces, voltages, currents... I don't know what happened to it: it was not easy to use, but results were great.
I prefer doing it manually. However, several iterations are needed, it is like writing a poem, or some music... Very similar. Human mind is the best ever made computer, so why don't use it?

Quote:
What do you use to draw on the copper? A regular permanent marker?

No, I use regular Acetone based enamel.

Quote:
Are those cylindirical things russian pots?

Yes. Metal and ceramic, sealed by compound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 am 

Hi,

wavebourn wrote:
I prefer doing it manually. However, several iterations are needed, it is like writing a poem, or some music... Very similar. Human mind is the best ever made computer, so why don't use it?

I have a similar philosophy to yours, but something (usually availability, or price of materials) prevented me to fully step into it... seeing how you go ahead till the final result, and your creativeness to find simple solutions is very very encouraging for me.

wavebourn wrote:
No, I use regular Acetone based enamel.

Do you mean the same women use for fingernails?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:45 am 

I believe any oil based quick drying paint that has good adhesion to the PCB can be used. It should also be resistant to water but be easily removable with a simple solvent.

I have used permanent marking ink and also quick drying enamel gloss paint with good results.

Most important is the PCB surface preparation before drawing the traces as any oil/dirt will cause the paint to lift during etching and destroying the trace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next