www.wavebourn.com

We create creativity!
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: GU-50 Single Ended Amplifier Design
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 am 

You were right, Quikie. It is the pins, which are binding/catching. The hole in the center of the slotted pins seem to either not have been deburred, it is too small, or the silver plating process have somehow 'welded' the slots partially shut again, preventing the pin from giving when you try to insert a tube.

I don't mind a solid contact, but upon close examination it is obvious that even my previous insertion attempts have slightly damaged the ends of a few tube pins. Nothing undone, but if I force it, the tube won't come out again in one piece. This is annoying, as I had bought a few spare sockets, so I could build a simple curve tracer, among other things, in order to match up tubes to be run in parallel.

Running a serious risk of breaking a tube just to test it is not acceptable, obviously. I will have to do something about those socket pins...

Frank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:11 am 

Oh great, that didn't go too well. Sad

Despite my best efforts I now have a GU-50, which is thoroughly wedged into its socket. So far it has resisted all my attempts to get it back out. Better still, only 7 of the 8 pins have made a solid contact, with one of the heater connections showing open circuit (and the socket pin is very loose).

Not to mention it looks like I may have cracked the tube, as the getter has started to turn into the dreaded 'rainbow shimmer of impending doom'.

Custom sockets maybe?

- Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:37 am 

Knarf wrote:
Oh great, that didn't go too well. Sad

Despite my best efforts I now have a GU-50, which is thoroughly wedged into its socket. So far it has resisted all my attempts to get it back out. Better still, only 7 of the 8 pins have made a solid contact, with one of the heater connections showing open circuit (and the socket pin is very loose).

Not to mention it looks like I may have cracked the tube, as the getter has started to turn into the dreaded 'rainbow shimmer of impending doom'.

Custom sockets maybe?

- Frank.

I don't think the tube is cracked as yet, probably gassy but not cracked. Smile
Why don't you try rocking it slowly and pulling at the same time? I used a 1/2 inch rope wrapped around the top handle and tied it to something heavy/solid. then pulled at the socket, then at the same time slowly rocked it till it worked loose. The sockets will not be damaged.
The sockets probably need to be "cleaned" and "polished: before use as I discovered. I used some "liquid flux" (ZnCl2) and a stiff steel wire to clean the socket after my first experience. Even then the sockets are still very tight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 am 
Шаман, типа...

I do not know gentlemen what kind of sockets do you have, but I had no problems with them. Yes, they are tight, but I can insert then pull the tube off, and all contacts are fine. The single problem I have, I got them in bulk package in a box, so need to straighten almost all of them, since they are stamped from soft aluminium.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:40 pm 

wavebourn wrote:
I do not know gentlemen what kind of sockets do you have, but I had no problems with them. Yes, they are tight, but I can insert then pull the tube off, and all contacts are fine. The single problem I have, I got them in bulk package in a box, so need to straighten almost all of them, since they are stamped from soft aluminium.

My frames are all ok, not bent. I believe we all have the same socket shown in your second picture, the stamped aluminium ones.

We do have difficulty removing the tubes after insertion, but not impossible to remove. Maybe some of the sockets we have are slightly corroded and do not have such an easy inserion/removal of the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm 
Шаман, типа...

Also, sockets in a cage with lid are rated for higher voltage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 am 

Well, I suspect I may have been too impatient in trying the sockets. Should perhaps have been more thorough with cleaning tube and socket pins before inserting a tube. No significant updates on the project otherwise. I will not be very active for the next few weeks due to personal items I need to take care of. Still waiting for the transformers, which I don't expect any time soon anyway. Very Happy

- Frank.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13